Monday, May 16, 2011

Weekend Project-Outdoor Coffee Table repurposing a Pallet

Have you ever shopped for furniture that needed to be a certain size, after looking and looking around could never find anything unless it was a gazillion dollars?  Well, I couldn't find the size and look that would fit with our existing patio.  Until, I found this cool idea using pallets for furniture on a blog and decided it would be something we (my handy husband and I) could do, not to mention... the price was right!  Living in Texas the style can be very rustic and we really wanted something unusual (eclectic) that we didn't have to worry about.  This is the site I found the idea:  http://blog.stylizimo.com/2011/03/diy-pallets.html.  Here are some pictures of the outdoor coffee table that we made this weekend. Little did I know the "euro" pallets are different than the "US" pallets!  Always something new to learn.

Earlier this spring we had mulch delivered on some pallets and since I had not seen this idea, we threw them in the trash.  Of course, after I saw the idea, I wanted my pallets back! Uggg.  While taking a walk around the block I noticed my neighbor had some mulch delivered and immediately called to beg for the pallets after they were finished spreading the mulch!  Now, the pallet that we got from our neighbors was all torn up (really don't know how because these boards are tough) the boards were split & broken so...we had to find another source!  Off we went to Lowes...thinking surely they would have some good ones...with no luck!  But we did run across some good ones at another store in the same area!  Bingo...off to talk to the store manager to see if we could have two pallets...he said "Yes"!!!
 Now, I never knew how hard the wood is on these pallets & to take them apart is HARD!  The nails they use are the kind that never come out!!!  Whew, I think I spent an hour getting one board off the pallet.  So another plan was devised...actually my DH saw me struggling, I think he felt sorry for me and decided it was time to help.  It sure is nice to have a muscular body in the mix, along with some manly power tools!
 Check out the metal handles that I found at a local craft store...I just love Hobby Lobby & I got them 50% off to boot!  I think the only $ we have in the project is about 5 bucks, some nails, screws (from the stash in the garage)...and our precious time!

 Through some trial an error we put the legs on using drywall screws....Now we have to decide if we want to fill the areas on top where the slats are open or not.  We didn't use the glass like the picture in the blog because I didn't want to have to clean it every day nor did I want to be pulling glass out of someones foot if it broke.  I think a tray on top would be fine.
I still have to put some little plastic feet on the bottom of the legs but for the most part, we are finished. It's nice to have a place for our coffee cup the morning!  I have to say...not bad for amateur furniture builders! 
En"joi" your day, it is a beautiful one here in TX. 
Thank you Guy for all your help!  Your the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Become a Member